Bartholomeus Klip Farmhouse
Western Cape, Wine Region, Hermon 7308
Bartholomeus Klip is a charming small hotel for only 16 guests on a working wheat and sheep farm just over an hour away from Cape Town: ideally situated for exploring the famous winelands. There is a 4 000 hectare fynbos nature reserve, with a spectacular backdrop of mountains, to be explored on game drives or by mountain bike, and beautiful gardens with a unique swimming pool. Th
• The Victorian farmhouse is situated in a spectacular landscape of mountains and spreading farmlands, just over an hour away from Cape Town. There is an important nature reserve of 4 500 hectares (11 000 acres) as well as wheat and sheep farming operations on another 2 000 hectares (5 000 acres) of arable land.
• Activities include game drives through the natural fynbos veld, where many species of antelope are to be seen, walks, bike rides, birdwatching, canoeing and flyfishing on the lake, and visits to nearby attractions such as Tulbagh, Riebeek Kasteel, Wellington, Paarl, Franschhoek and Stellenbosch, all of which are surrounded by winelands.
• Food is taken very seriously and the cooking at Bartholomeus Klip has a deservedly high reputation. The kitchen is staffed by professional chefs who make imaginative use of local produce.
• The farmhouse has been restored to the highest standards of comfort and decorated by the owners, working with a well-known interior designer from Cape Town and using family pieces from their own collection. A separate building down by the lake makes a scenic venue for weddings and small conferences. It has an upstairs sitting room and balcony with a view over the water which makes a magical setting for sundowners.
• A large shady verandah runs around the house, which is surrounded by extensive gardens with old oaks and quiet corners for reading and relaxing. A large salt-water swimming pool has a deck and wonderful views up to the mountains and over the farmlands.
• Inside the main farmhouse building there are three sitting rooms and a light and airy conservatory-style dining room. Sleeping accommodation is in four double bedrooms, each with bathroom.
• There is a suite outside, a few steps from the farmhouse, with bedroom, large bathroom with separate shower, sitting area.
• All the rooms are decorated with sophisticated floral fabrics and antique furnishings. Bedside lamps etc are modern. The overall feel is fresh and light. The bathrooms have Victorian-type fittings and some have showers over the bath.
• Also available is Wild Olive House, with open-plan sitting room, dining room and kitchen, three bedrooms and two bathrooms, and a separate cottage for two. Both of these can be hired on a self-catering or full-board basis and altogether seven people can be accommodated. Children are welcome. The house has its own swimming pool and leafy verandah, and is fully equipped, with bedlinen, towels etc provided. The style of décor here is more informal than at the farmhouse, but is stylish and comfortable. Television, video, books, games etc are provided, and meals are available on request.
Bartholomeus Klip will be offering a variety of winter specials from 1 May 2012 to 31 October 2012 (Excludes July 2012)
Three nights for the price of two: Midweek break for two persons sharing, including all accommodation, all meals (high tea, sundowners, 4-course dinner, early morning coffee and pastries, and mid-morning brunch), two daily game drives, all activities (cycling, canoeing, fly-fishing, walking).
All this at a special rate of R6040.00 for two persons sharing.
Use the form below to contact the property directly.